Though McLaren insists that everything in hunk dory, and that Fernando Alonso will see out the second year of his contract, many, both inside the paddock and outside, believe that the Spaniard's position within the team has become untenable.Speaking at the weekend, the Spaniard said that he was "happy" at McLaren, providing he has a winning car, however he also admitted that there were precious few other drives available.Never one to miss an opportunity - or a fast buck - Renault boss Flavio...Read Full Story
One minute we are told that all is well at McLaren, then the Spanish media suggests that Fernando Alonso feels un-rewarded.Now, the Spaniard is telling everyone that he's happy at Woking, though admitting that his options elsewhere are limited.With talk of him leaving McLaren at the end of the year, not to mention speculation as to him taking a year's sabbatical or maybe even retiring from the sport, the Spaniard yesterday admitted that his options are limited."There are not many options I...Read Full Story
Linked from http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40357
Former world champion John Surtees believes Fernando Alonso’s actions during qualifying in Hungary revealed a crack in his armour that will play to team-mate Lewis Hamilton’s advantage.
The McLaren drivers were at the centre of controversy in Budapest after Hamilton disregarded team instructions to let Alonso past in the fuel-burn phase of qualifying and the Spaniard responded by delaying his team-mate in the pit lane...Read Full Story
Linked from http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070810135856.shtml
In an apparent peace-offering, Ferrari driver Felipe Massa has invited Fernando Alonso to his annual end-of-season charity go-kart race in Brazil.
A report by the news agency Associated Press on Friday claims that, despite their post-race shouting match at the Nurburgring last month following an on-track clash, Massa in Sao Paulo "said he will also invite Alonso for the race in the southern city of...Read Full Story
Linked from http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070809101948.shtml
Fernando Alonso's manager has played down press speculation that the disgruntled reigning world champion could immediately quit McLaren.
With the 26-year-old Spaniard's relationship with the Mercedes-powered outfit at an all time low after the Hungarian Grand Prix, his manager Luis Garcia Abad told the newspaper El Pais that Alonso is not planning to leave McLaren any time soon.
Spanish newspapers had...Read Full Story
This Spaniard is a two-time Formula One World Champion. He is the youngest driver to win the Formula One World Championship. He acheived this feat driving for Renault. In 2007, he has switched teams to drive for McLaren Mercedes.