* 1977, becomes councillor in the town of Neuilly-sur-Seine.
* 1977, member of the central committee for the RPR.
* 1978 – 1979, national youth delegate for the RPR.
* 1979 – 1981, president of the national youth delegates under Jacques Chirac for the presidential election of 1981.
* 1983, becomes mayor in the town of Neuilly-sur-Seine.
* 1988, national secretary of the RPR, in charge of youth and teaching issues.
* Co-director of the list "Union pour les Élections européennes".
* 1992 – 1993, secrétaire général-adjoint du RPR, chargé des Fédérations. (Assistant secretary of the RPR in charge of constituent interest groups)
* Since 1993, member of the RPR political office.
* 1993 – 1995, Minister for the Budget in the cabinet of Edouard Balladur.
* 1995 – 1997 spokesman for the RPR.
* 1998 – 1999, Secretary General of the RPR.
* 1999, interim president of the RPR.
* 1999, head of the RPR-DL electoral list of the European elections in June.
* May 2000, elected President of the committee of the RPR for the département of Hauts-de-Seine.
* 2002 – March 2004, Minister of the Interior in the cabinet of Jean-Pierre Raffarin.
* March 2004 – November 2004, Minister of the Economy, Finance and Industry in the cabinet of Jean-Pierre Raffarin.
* November 2004, elected the new head of President Jacques Chirac's governing UMP party.
* June 2005 – March 2007, Minister of State and Minister of the Interior in the cabinet of Dominique de Villepin.
* January 2007, nominated by the Union for a Popular Movement for the 2007 presidential election.
* March 2007, quits as Minister of Interior to get fully involved in the 2007 presidential campaign.
* 22 April 2007, Sarkozy takes first place in the first round of voting for the French Presidential election.