Wayne Watson is the only consumer to get "Popcorn Lung" from microwaved popcorn. Popcorn includes a chemical called diacetyl that, when breathed in at high concentrations, can cause lung problems.Here is what Watson had to say about how he reacted when told about the chemical after eating a bag of popcorn every day for 10 years:"When Dr. Rose told me, she said: `Mr. Watson, there is a chemical in butter flavored microwave popcorn called diacetyl and it has been known to cause lung disease of...Read Full Story
Watson is the only known case of popcorn lung outside of factory workers. But Watson says that he did nothing out of the ordinary to catch popcorn lung:"I wasn't snorting the stuff you know," Watson, the sole reported case of "popcorn lung" disease in a non-factory worker, said during an interview late Wednesday. "You know when you open it up, you get the 'whoof."'Read Full Story
Popcorn Lung is a respiratory ailment caused by inhaling steam from microwaved popcorn. Popcorn Lung has only been seen in one consumer, but it has been documented in factory workers in the past.