(Getty | Disney)
Variety has confirmed that Sofia Coppola has signed on to direct Universal's live-action version of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale The Little Mermaid. To be clear, this is NOT a remake of the beloved Disney cartoon even though it centers around a mermaid who wishes to become human after falling in love with a man she saves from drowning.
Not much else is known about the film except that this kid-friendly adaptation is a definite departure from the adult themes the award-winning director is used to taking on. Given Coppola's penchant for dreamy, poetic visuals, wonderful costumes, and killer soundtracks, we can't help but be thrilled by the news. So, to get us thinking about life under the sea, here are six things we definitely think Coppola should include in her film.
1. Emma Watson cast as the titular mermaid's young, frivolous sister.
2. Opulent ocean-chic mermaid costumes inspired by this:
...And matched perfectly to this wig:
3. An epic slow-motion sea rave set to a down-tempo version of "Kiss the Girl."
4. Josh Hartnett rocking this hairstyle in his role as Prince Eric.
5. An impressive under-the-sea feast (preferably crafted by a talking crustacean).
6. Phoenix (or any other modern band) covering "Part of Your World."