Wayne Watson is the only consumer to get "Popcorn Lung" from microwaved popcorn. Popcorn includes a chemical called diacetyl that, when breathed in at high concentrations, can cause lung problems. Here is what Watson had to say about how he reacted when told about the chemical after eating a bag of popcorn every day for 10 years: "When Dr. Rose told me, she said: `Mr. Watson, there is a chemical in butter flavored microwave popcorn called diacetyl and it has been known to cause lung...Read Full Story
He claims that he did nothing out of the ordinary, just ate a lot of microwaved popcorn:
"I wasn't snorting the stuff you know," Watson, the sole reported case of "popcorn lung" disease in a non-factory worker, said during an interview late Wednesday. "You know when you open it up, you get the 'whoof."'Read Full Story
Wayne Watson is the only person to have Popcorn Lung outside of popcorn factory workers. Popcorn Lung is a respiratory problem caused by inhaling the steam from microwaved popcorn.