10 Things You Didn't Know About 'Coyote Ugly'
In honor of the anniversary of the film that couldn't fight the moonlight.
Aspiring songwriter Violet Sanford (Piper Perabo) was in search of big city fame
in the 2000 romantic dramedy Coyote Ugly. The film, directed by David McNally and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, starred John Goodman as Violet's overprotective father, and Maria Bello, Tyra Banks, and Bridget Moynahan as Violet's sexy bartender co-workers at a notorious nightclub. Though critics panned the film upon its release (it holds a 22 percent Rotten Tomatoes score), fans were all about LeAnn Rimes' musical contributions (helloooo, "Can't Fight the Moonlight").
In honor of the film's anniversary, here are 10 things you never knew about it.
1. The real Coyote Ugly Saloon opened in 1993 in New York City.
There are now 14 Coyote Ugly Saloon locations across the country.
2. The movie is inspired by the real experiences of author Elizabeth Gilbert of Eat, Pray, Love fame.
In the GQ article "The Muse of the Coyote Ugly Saloon," she recounts her time as a Coyote bartender.
3. Jessica Simpson auditioned for the lead role of Violet Sanford.
However, she dropped out after filmmakers refused to take out the sex scene between Violet and Kevin O'Donnell (played by Adam Garcia).
4. Britney Spears and Jewel were also considered for the role.
Spears, of course, did go on to star in a movie two years later, Crossroads.
5. Coyote Ugly is a real slang term, apparently.
According to Urban Dictionary, it's "waking up from a drunken stupor to find that your sexual partner of the previous night is not only ghastly, but is sleeping with his/her head resting on your arm. The only way to escape, without waking the beast, is to chew off your arm and flee." That's what we learned in the movie, but apparently it was actually a thing outside of that.
6. LeAnn Rimes did all of the singing for Piper Perabo.
Even though Piper Perabo can actually sing in real life.
7. Kevin Smith did an uncredited rewrite of the script.
Despite the fact that eight writers helped Smith work on it, the Writers Guild of America only gave credit to Gina Wendkos. She went on to write the screenplay for The Princess Diaries and The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement.
8. Johnny Knoxville and Michael Bay both make cameos in the film.
They play a man in the bar and a photographer, respectively.
9. The soundtrack for the movie was on the Billboard Top 40 for over a year.
Three singles were also released from the soundtrack including "Can't Fight the Moonlight," "But I Do Love You," and "The Right Kind of Wrong." And to this day, they're still jams. Right?
10. LeAnn Rimes was only 17 when the movie came out.
Critics took issue with her overly sexy outfit (leather pants and a skimpy top) and the fact that, even with a fake ID, she would "never have been allowed inside any NYC bar."