10 Things You Didn't Know About Norman Reedus
You know you love him.
The man who plays Daryl Dixon on the AMC series has been around Hollywood a while now. I first noticed him in The Boondock Saints. The explosive young actor had those eyes that seemed permanently shut by the sun, like Eastwood. He seemed like a formidable talent, even then. But Reedus' destiny wasn't westerns, it was the apocalypse. Thanks to his role on AMC's The Walking Dead, Reedus has amassed a cult fandom who's surely familiar with many of the tidbits on the following list. But, for the casual fan, or those without the capacity for obsession, this article is for you. Here are 10 things you never knew about Norman Reedus.
1. Has a son named Mingus from a five-year relationship with Danish supermodel Helena Christensen.
2. In addition to being an actor, Reedus is a painter, sculptor, and photographer. His work has been shown in New York, Los Angeles, Berlin, and Frankfurt galleries.
3. He's modeled for Prada, Alessandro Dell'Acqua, Durban, Levi's, Lexus, and most recently Morgenthal Fredrics.
4. He's appeared in 11 music videos: "Flat Top" by Goo Goo Dolls, "Cats in the Cradle" by Ugly Kid Joe, "Mean to Me" by Tonic, "Strange Currencies" by R.E.M., "Fake Plastic Trees" by Radiohead, "Violently Happy" by Björk, "Wicked As It Seems" by Keith Richards, "Sun Down" by Tricky (ft. Tirzah), "Judas" by Lady Gaga, and "No Cities to Love" by Sleater-Kinney.
5. He has a titanium eye socket and four screws in his nose, the result of a 2005 car accident he survived in Berlin, Germany. After a R.E.M. concert, Reedus' driver swerved into traffic and their car was hit by an 18 wheeler, sending Reedus through the window and out onto the sidewalk unconscious. Luckily, he pulled through, but underwent multiple surgeries on his left eye and face.
6. Reedus loves masks and he owns over 50.
7. His favorite movies are Mad Max, Midnight Cowboy, and Saturday Night Fever.
8. Reedus originally auditioned for the role of Merle Dixon (which would go to Michael Rooker) on The Walking Dead, but producers liked him so much, they created a new character specifically for Reedus (Merle's brother, Daryl). Daryl Dixon is not a part of the Robert Kirkman comic the show is based on.
9. He loves snapping selfies with other famous people, follow his Instagram here.
10. And he loves his fans... of course.
Catch Reedus and the rest of his survivor buddies this fall on The Walking Dead.