20 Things You Never Knew About 'The Brady Bunch Movie'
It's been 20 years, time to revisit the cornball comedy from 1995.
It might be a stretch to call it a cult film, but The Brady Bunch Movie certainly has its ardent supporters. People who grew up with and loved the original TV show for its wholesomeness, and others who loved it for its camp appeal, both welcomed the 1995 cinematic spoof. The movie, directed by veteran actress Betty Thomas, debuted February 17, 1995. So to celebrate two decades of goofy laughs, here are twenty things you never knew about the movie and the production:
1. After Jan runs away from home, she's seen walking a dark city street with provocative music playing in the background. This is a reference to the original Jan Brady: Eve Plumb, who went hard against type as a runaway-turned-prostitute in the TV movie Dawn: Portrait of a Teenage Runaway.
2. Christine Taylor, who plays Marcia Brady, is actually younger than Jennifer Elise Cox, who plays Jan.
3. As he heads off to his business meeting, Carol Brady tells Mike, "Go get 'em, Tiger!" And then wonders, "Tiger... Tiger... Whatever happened to that dog?" Tiger was the name of the Brady's dog in the TV series who mysteriously disappeared after the first two seasons without explanation. What really happened? The original Tiger was hit by a truck and killed after a few episodes and his replacement misbehaved, so producers gave up on the dog for the third season.
4. Ann B. Davis (who originally played Alice the Housekeeper) appears as a truck driver named "Schultzy." Schultzy was the name of the character Davis played on the The Bob Cummings Show.
5. Peter does not utter his most famous catchphrase, "Pork Chops And Applesauce," but the phrase does appear on the kitchen's blackboard. Confusingly, Peter does say the line in a scene from the trailer, but it was cut.
6. A number of scenes that made it into trailers for The Brady Bunch Movie were cut at the last minute by producer Sherwood Schwartz. They included a grunge band scene in the garage with Greg and Eric and a seduction scene between Mrs. Dittmeyer and Peter.
7. The Partridge Family's bus has a quick cameo.
8. Producers unsuccessfully lobbied to use the original (exterior) house from the original Brady Bunch series, but the Studio City, CA owners refused due to many years of trespassing fans.
9. Scenes featuring original Bobby, Mike Lookinland, original Cindy, Susan Olsen, and original Marcia, Maureen McCormick, as a cop, a reporter, and a lemonade lady were filmed but cut. Florence Henderson, who played Carol, appears as Grandma.
10. Original Peter, Christopher Knight's role as a coach was originally four minutes long, but was cut short.
11. Mrs. Whitfield, the teacher safety monitor Bobby shakes down for stealing school supplies, was the name of a teacher from The Brady Bunch.
12. Florence Henderson has played Carol Brady, Carol's mother, and Carol's grandmother, Connie Hutchins, in assorted Brady TV shows and movies.
13. Christopher Daniel Barnes, who plays Greg Brady, was also on the NBC TV series Day by Day. In one episode, his character, Ross Harper, dreams he's Chuck Brady, the "Lost Brady" in a Brady Bunch reunion sequence, with much of the original cast appearing.
14. Florence Henderson initially turned down her cameo, as she didn't like the scene she was to appear in. After test screenings criticized the absence of Henderson, the producers convinced her to appear under the condition that she would have some certain control over her scene. At that point, Henderson accepted.
15. Marcia (with her neatly organized socks) seems obsessive compulsive, and Jan (who hears voices) may be schizophrenic.
16. Roseanne Barr turned down a cameo as a neighbor.
18. Dayna Price was considered for the role of Jan.
19. School scenes were shot at Taft High School in Woodland Hills, CA.
20. The Brady Bunch Movie was Mel Brooks-inspired in that it both pays homage to and lampoons its source material. It helped influence a slew of TV show spoofs in years to come including Charlie's Angels, Starsky & Hutch, and 21 Jump Street.
[h/t to Wikipedia, iMDB, and other sources]