16 Hilariously Weird Activities '90s Kids Did for Fun
Hey, we were just working with what we had.
Today's kids have plenty of cool diversions to keep themselves entertained, whether it's streaming movies on Netflix, fiddling with their iPads, or spending way many hours following their favorite celebs on Snapchat or Instagram. For '90s kids, it was a far different story. In the absence of online streaming services, smartphones, and selfies, it was all about using your imagination — for the most part. But what exactly did '90s kids do for fun? Below, we've rounded up 16 hilarious and, often times, weird ways the youth of this proud decade kept the good times rolling.
1. Caught up with the cOoL KiDs on AOL Instant Messenger.
Raise your hand if your screen name was something like "CuteLilPrincess43" or "LaZeBoi11" or "PrrfectAngl909".
2. Predicted the future (and which one of our classmates would one day become our husbands and wives).
These origami fortune tellers and M.A.S.H. were also sooooo accurate. Too bad if you got "shack."
3. Recorded our favorite jams from the radio to a blank tape.
Oh, and we tried our hardest to cut out the DJ.
4. Messed our eyes up for the sake of art.
5. Rented New Releases or $2.99 favorites from
You got more bang for your buck if mom had a coupon.
6. Settled sibling rivalry via Super Soaker.
7. Learned how to properly use nouns, verbs, and adjectives.
Thanks, Mad Libs.
8. Tuned into MTV's TRL to see which video ranked at #1.
It was always Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys, or *NSYNC.
9. Learned valuable life lessons about American consumerism.
10. Tried to prevent round plastic balls from tearing up our ankles.
11. Stuffed our faces with delicious, over-processed foods like Bagel Bites...
... Presumably while satisfying our thumb-numbing addictions to Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario Kart, or this:
12. Pretended to get high on Mr. Sketch markers.
Lemon and mint were the best. You were a weirdo if you liked the smell of the black marker.
13. Built up a massive (and pretty much useless) collection of Pogs.
Extra kudos if you owned a Pog that changed color or moved.
14. Built magical Polly Pocket worlds.
15. Nurtured our beloved Furbies and Tamagotchis.
Who remembers feeding your Furby by sticking a finger in its mouth?
16. Drew this geometric "S" shape over and over and over again in our notebooks.
Hey, it was always a great alternative to actually paying attention in class.