20 Things You Didn't Know About 'Dumb & Dumber'
It's been 20 years since Lloyd and Harry first debuted, and the sequel's on its way.
With the 20th anniversary of the release of Dumb and Dumber coming up in December and the long-anticipated sequel coming out this Friday, what better time than now to celebrate the most idiotic, goofy, and ridiculously hilarious movie of 1994? Dumb and Dumber wasn't just a huge success—raking in almost a quarter billion dollars worldwide—it also marked the feature debut of writer/directors Peter and Bobby Farrelly.
The Farrelly brothers achieved a lot of success in the 1990s (There's Something About Mary even outgrossed D&D in 1998), but it all began with Harry and Lloyd. Boosted by the star power of Jim Carrey, who was coming off Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Dumb and Dumber mounted a killer marketing campaign and became the must-see movie for teens and immature adults everywhere.
Everyone knows and loves Harry and Lloyd, but there are plenty of things even the biggest fans aren't aware of. So reminisce with us if you will, as we reveal 20 things you didn't know about the (now) comedy classic, Dumb and Dumber:
1. Harry and Lloyd are named after Harold Lloyd, a star during the silent era.
2. Jim Carrey was initially offered $700,000 to appear in the film. However, the offer went in the same week that Ace Ventura: Pet Detective opened number one at the U.S. box office. With new leverage, Carrey's agents renegotiated and got their client $7 million, almost half the film's budget.
6. Lauren Holly, who plays Mary Swanson, turned down a role in Ace Ventura, but would end up working with Carrey anyway on D&D.
7. Dialogue improvised by Carrey on set: the "most annoying sound in the world" (check out Daniels' face for verification) and "No way...that's great! We've landed on the moon!"
8. Lloyd's chipped tooth is real. Carrey damaged it years earlier and had his cap removed so he would look more deranged.
9. After scamming Sea Bass (NHL player Cam Neely) to pay his bill, Lloyd says he saw it in a movie. The reference is to a scene in Something Wild and the actor who pulled it off was Jeff Daniels.
10. In order to maintain Harry's frizzy hair the length of the shoot, Daniels was instructed to only wash his hair. He couldn't use conditioner, blow dry it, or brush it.
11. Lloyd's watch (shown in the bathroom stall scene) is a "Casino Alarm Chronograph" suggesting it's a fake of the already inexpensive brand, Casio. It also lacks any of the dials found on a real chronographic watch, along with the numerals 5, 6, and 7.
12. Written on the gas station bathroom stall: "Why are you looking up here when the joke is in your hand?", "Bye Bye William Frawley", "NAMBLA Rules", and "Why the hell is everyone so goddamned angry?".
13. When Harry and Lloyd are escaping Joe the Gas Man (Mike Starr), there's a guy in the background urinating against a wall while they hop in the Shaggin Wagon.
14. The last name of Harry's (and Lloyd's) ex-girlfriend, Freda Felcher, is also the name of a lurid sexual act we can't describe here.
15. Although the ultimate travel goal was to reach Aspen, Colorado, the actual town wanted too much money for the rights so many scenes were shot in nearby Breckenridge.
16. Co-writer Bennett Yellin's first draft of the script was reportedly so scattered it gained a negative reputation amongst film investors. After it was rewritten, it was pitched to producers under the fake title A Power Tool Is Not a Toy, so people would actually read it.
17. Brady Bluhm, who plays Billy (aka "Pretty Bird"), was only 10-years-old during filming but was already a veteran TV actor. He appeared on Roseanne, Empty Nest, The Ben Stiller Show, and Baywatch all before Dumb and Dumber.
18. Dumb and Dumber was the second movie of 1994 that featured Daniels playing a character named "Harry"; the other was Speed (Harry Temple). Karen Duffy also played characters named "Shay" in Dumb and Dumber and Blank Check the same year.
19. Carrey became the first actor to have three number one films in the same year after Dumb and Dumber did it in December of '94 (The Mask, Ace Ventura).
20. Carrey and Holly fell in love while making Dumb and Dumber and were married on September 23, 1996. The marriage would last less than a year.